Sunday, August 23, 2009
Sunday, August 09, 2009
I recently had a flurry of garment making based on charity shop purchases, mostly 'frankensewing'.
This tee-shirt makes use of 3 tee smaller tee-shirts. The plain and striped garments had long sleeves and were used to make a wider, flared body and two-tone sleeves. The thrid shirt was sleeveless and had a front printed design. When that design was cut out, the rest of the fabric was cut into strips for a frill at the bottom.
The pink tee-shirt was made from two tee shirts and a tie. One shirt was originally a plain grey, and the other white with pale blue stripes. I overdyed them 'flamingo pink' with Dylon Machine Dye. After spliicng the main body sections and using the sleeves of one to lengthen the 3/4 sleeves of the other (with uncorded piping in one of the seams) I made godets with the leftover scraps, embellished at the points with tie fabric. The cut away neckline from the striped shirt makes a feature on the plainer top part of the garment, and the remaining tie fabric forms a frill around the neckline, and a small bow on one sleeve.
A plain green tee shirt was combined with a striped one with some green in it. Godets of the plain fabric were inserted into the striped one to make it into a larger size. I also inserted gussets under the arms. I used a small amount of pink tee-shirt fabric to embellish the points. I felt the green looked too stark so I used some dimensional fabric paint to embellish the garment.
Two small indigo-dyed sleeveless tops were spliced to make this larger garment.
This shirt was a charity shop find with a matching scarf. It had frayed collar and cuffs and a small hole near the centre front on the buttonhole side. It was a more wishy-washy pale blue, beige and cream spotted design. I dyed the fabric flamingo Pink with the tee-shirts above, then removed the main part of the collar to make a mandarin neck. The scarf was used to patch the hole and make 2 godets at the sides to increase the garment size. Finally I removed the existing cuffs and used leftover scarf to bind the ends of the sleeves which are now wide and loose instead of tightly cuffed.
This final garment is not really a 'frankensewing' project. I found a skirt in a nice viscose print, and used the fabric salvaged from it to make a loose kimono sleeved top.
A jacket using the Plaza Jacket pattern from Sewing Workshop. I used the Large rather than the Extra Large size. With the left-over fabric I made a bias tube and used it to make a bias sleeveless top. The fabric is a very slubby, irregular silk noil that I bought in Borovicks a couple of years ago. It is loosely woven and drapes beautifully.
I have put off posting this as I intended to use the pants from this pattern to make some linen trousers, but it just doesn't seem to have happened so here is the jacket and top. I have plenty of linen trousers in a natural colour anyway!
Thursday, June 04, 2009
I have a few items that I have made over the last 2 months, but have been too busy to post pictures.
First, a felted bag in Plymouth Boku. I knit in the round from the top down and cast off at the bottom with a 3 needle cast off. The strap is an I-cord knitted on two double pointed needles. I felted it in a lingerie bag in my front loading machine on 60degrees wash.
I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
This is a jacket I made from silk dupion that I dyed with procion thickened with manutex, which gave a lovely cloudy effect. I adapted a Burda pattern to make it larger and longer. I used a large mother-of-pearl button.
Finally, an asymmetric knit jacket in Noro Blossom. I designed this jacket from scratch using the Garment Designer software program. The jacket is knit sideways to make the striping vertical. I used a mother of pearl button dyed purple, tied on with 3 strands of yarn left in a long tassel.
In this photo the sleeves are a bit too long - I have shortened them since.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
I attended this workshop at Missenden Abbey from 6th to 9th April. Here is the resulting cushion top using the techniques covered. I've decided to use the left over yarn to make more squares to make a 2nd top, using some different techniques and patterns.
Friday, April 10, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
I just realised I didn't post pictures of the lace pidge and wristwarmer set I knit for my friend for Christmas. I used Rowan Tapestry, a yarn made from wool and soy. I used some mother-of-pearl buttons with an engraved pattern to do up the pidge, or neck warmer
Thursday, March 19, 2009
I just finished this pair of Noro Stripey Socks following the pattern from The Needle and the Damage Done:
I used one ball of the Noro Kureyon Sock yarn, split into two and knit the stripes from the half balls.
Monday, March 02, 2009
Friday, February 13, 2009
I have just (finally) finished my Shibori velvet jacket. I dyed the silk/viscose velved using shibori stitching and tying and synthetic indigo about a year ago, as part of my Creative Computing City & Guilds course. I also dyed some silk habutai for lining in the same vat, using a twist resist method.
I used Vogue 1328 (discontinued), an Issey Miyake pattern, to make this unstructured jacket. I have used this pattern twice in the past, and am very happy with the way it drapes and is comfortable to wear.
Here are some pictures of the shibori patterning and of the lining.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Then the Bainbridge scarf in Noro Cash Iroha
And finally some beaded stitch markers.
Saturday, January 17, 2009
I created an embellished jeans jacket some months ago. I took a lot of photographs at the time, but have only just taken the time to write some instructions. Here it is: