Sunday, August 23, 2009

More of the same

Some more 'frankenstein' teeshirts, and I'm still on a roll. A couple had V-necks that I didn't want to keep. For the brown/cream one I used the back of the patterned tee (in fact a wrap front garment) as the garment back, and the back of the plain tee as the front. The teal one I used the back neck of teeshirt 2 to fill in the neck of teeshirt 1 - this one also has a scattering of swarovski crystals to liven it up. I have a stack more tees from charity shops to continue with in the future, but I have other things to do that I should get on with before I get back to them!

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Frankensewing and charity shop 'fabric'

Frankensewing - to make a garment using two or more existing garments, usually making use of some existing garment construction.

I recently had a flurry of garment making based on charity shop purchases, mostly 'frankensewing'.

This tee-shirt makes use of 3 tee smaller tee-shirts. The plain and striped garments had long sleeves and were used to make a wider, flared body and two-tone sleeves. The thrid shirt was sleeveless and had a front printed design. When that design was cut out, the rest of the fabric was cut into strips for a frill at the bottom.

The pink tee-shirt was made from two tee shirts and a tie. One shirt was originally a plain grey, and the other white with pale blue stripes. I overdyed them 'flamingo pink' with Dylon Machine Dye. After spliicng the main body sections and using the sleeves of one to lengthen the 3/4 sleeves of the other (with uncorded piping in one of the seams) I made godets with the leftover scraps, embellished at the points with tie fabric. The cut away neckline from the striped shirt makes a feature on the plainer top part of the garment, and the remaining tie fabric forms a frill around the neckline, and a small bow on one sleeve.

A plain green tee shirt was combined with a striped one with some green in it. Godets of the plain fabric were inserted into the striped one to make it into a larger size. I also inserted gussets under the arms. I used a small amount of pink tee-shirt fabric to embellish the points. I felt the green looked too stark so I used some dimensional fabric paint to embellish the garment.

Two small indigo-dyed sleeveless tops were spliced to make this larger garment.

This shirt was a charity shop find with a matching scarf. It had frayed collar and cuffs and a small hole near the centre front on the buttonhole side. It was a more wishy-washy pale blue, beige and cream spotted design. I dyed the fabric flamingo Pink with the tee-shirts above, then removed the main part of the collar to make a mandarin neck. The scarf was used to patch the hole and make 2 godets at the sides to increase the garment size. Finally I removed the existing cuffs and used leftover scarf to bind the ends of the sleeves which are now wide and loose instead of tightly cuffed.

This final garment is not really a 'frankensewing' project. I found a skirt in a nice viscose print, and used the fabric salvaged from it to make a loose kimono sleeved top.

Plaza Jacket

A jacket using the Plaza Jacket pattern from Sewing Workshop. I used the Large rather than the Extra Large size. With the left-over fabric I made a bias tube and used it to make a bias sleeveless top. The fabric is a very slubby, irregular silk noil that I bought in Borovicks a couple of years ago. It is loosely woven and drapes beautifully.

I have put off posting this as I intended to use the pants from this pattern to make some linen trousers, but it just doesn't seem to have happened so here is the jacket and top. I have plenty of linen trousers in a natural colour anyway!