Friday, December 31, 2010

Jewellery class

I've been attending a jewellery class recently. We have been making polymer clay beads, and also stringing beads and doing a little wirework. Here are some pictures of items I've made.






















Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Noro Blossom Cardigan



This cardigan/jacket in Noro Blossom yarn was inspired by the pattern Country Weekend by Joanne Clark. The pattern is for a sweater, but I adapted it to make a jacket, and used a different method to join the panels.

What a shame it is too warm to wear much straight away, but I expect to get a lot of wear out of it far into the future.

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Button necklace


While I was raiding the charity shops for tee-shirts to combine, I found a linen top embellished with a large number of mother-of-pearl buttons. I have a weakness for these buttons so I bought the top and removed the buttons (the top is still wearable so I will donate it again). I threaded the buttons on doubled upholstery thread and attached a hook and loop closure to make a necklace.

Productive Easter weekend part 2

Linen trousers using the Sewing Workshop Plaza Pants pattern. I had cut these and the skirt out before the Easter
weekend but did not have time to sew them.

This skirt was made with the leftover piece of fabric from the trousers. I folded it into 4 and cut diagonally across. Then I joined the two 'skinny' triangles so I had 4 equilateral triangles. I worked out where the combined width measured the same as my waist, and cut away the points from the top. I then added the top triangles to the bottom of the truncated ones as godets, and joined the resulting panels into a skirt, using a concealed zip. With a half lining and a waistband I have a skirt and very little waste fabric.


A sleeveless top from a Burda WoF magazine



2 more tops using the Tessuti Favorite Top pattern I have used before. The animal print fabric was left over from a project from about 10 years ago. I knew there was enough for a top but one end of the fabric was not straight, so until I tried this pattern it kept coming up too short.





This fabric is so nice (bobbin embroidered with a wild yarn) I didn't want to cut away any more than I had to. The Tessuti Favorite Top is very economical. I have decided I like the back neckline for both front and back.




Productive Easter weekend part 1


I had a prooductive Easter weekend sewing for myself. Firstly, here are 3 more 'Frankenstein' teeshirts. The pink one incorporates a hood from one of the constituent shirts.



















Two of the shirts in this red one were overdyed with Dylon machine dye in Tulip Red.

Scarf finished





Lai's Cowl pattern free from Ravelry, but made longer into a scarf. I used Debbie Bliss Pure Silk yarn that I dyed myself using Quick Color microwave dye.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Fleece and silk tops




Green silk crepe de chine top. The fabric wasn't quite wide enough to make a kimono sleeve top so I pieced it to add 'cuffs' to the sleeves.

















Another top from the same pattern as the green one, but as it is narrower it looks more like dropped shoulders with sleeves. The silk habutai is what was left from the lining to the shibori dyed silk/viscose velvet from a while back.















A single sided fleece animal print. I copied an existing bought garment with dropped shoulders, a wide roll neck, and pockets.


All three garments were very quick to make, I cut them out one weekend and sewed then the next.

Monday, January 25, 2010

silk/linen knit tunic

A tunic made by combining the two Marcy Tilto patterns used for the turquoise tops poated a few days ago. It looks rather boring in the photo, but the fabric is a subtle tweedy colour seen close up.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Drapy waistcoats

Two waistcoats wih drapy fronts. The brown (rose?) one is from a Marcy Tilton jacket without the sleeves, the green one from the Japanese Unique Clothes My Style book.






Friday, January 22, 2010

Silk tops

Two silk crepe de chine tops. The yellow one is the Sewing Workshop Shapes Plus One Tunic, and the green one another example of the Tessuti Favourite Top from my previous post.



Tuesday, January 19, 2010

teeshirts

The two turquoise teeshirts are from Marcy Tilton (Vogue) patterns. The first pink one is a Sewing Workshop pattern inspired by Miyake (Teagarden T), the other is the Favourite Top from the Tessuti blog.




Monday, January 18, 2010

Sirdar Peru cardigan

Cardigan knitted in Sirdar Peru. For a change, I made a pattern in the recommended yarn, however I did need to adjust the size, so it wasn't totally straightforward.

I finished it on Christmas Day, so it came in handy to keep me warm during the snowy weather.








Alpaca socks


Some alpaca socks (toe up, short row heel) made during a coach trip in Spain.

Crochet scarf & wristwarmers

As I was scheduled to teach a beginners crochet class, I made a crochet scarf to use as a demonstration piece, and with the leftover yarn I made a pair of wristwarmers.

Catching up 2

A feather and fan knitted 'shawl with sleeves', based very loosely on Jane Thorney's Ripenings Shrug.
I used a 'magic ball' of about 20 different yarns, the colourway was inspired by mother-of-pearl.

Catching up 1

I have been knitting and sewing since my last post, but I have been lazy about taking pictures and loading them. I'll start with another frankenstein teeshirt. I look a bit fed-up but I'm actually happy with the garment. The teeshirt with the stars printed on it had shoulder frills, and one of these became the collar. The plain one has a small loop at the hem, so I put a sliver of starry fabric through it, and used the waist ties to make a neck closure.