Friday, March 13, 2015

Drafting a cowl necked shark-bite top

Recovered post, originally posted 9 December 2014


I have noticed cowl necked tops and shark-bite hems appearing on blogs recently so I thought I'd show how easy it is to draft one using Garment Designer.
Start with a simple A-line top with the sleeve and armhole you want.
Drag the bottom point of the side seam downwards and outwards.

Reshape the hemline by adjusting the curve control points.
Widen and deepen the neckline. I used the 'wide deep' option but decided I wanted it wider so I adjusted the neck/shoulder point further.
Select the 'collar, joined at the back' option from the extras menu.
Choose the 'stand' collar group, 'band 1' style.
Drag the bottom (outside edge) line down to the width you want for the cowl.

Drag the outside point on this line outwards to widen the edge so the cowl will fall downwards. You will need to cut the cowl with this edge on the fold.

Because Christmas is approaching, there are bundle specials available for both Garment Designer and Stitch Painter. I offer the same discount on UK prices as the Cochenille.com website, so if you are interested, drop me a message and I can let you know the details.

By the way, if you are a Mac user of either Garment Designer or Stitch Painter, and haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet, the advice is to hold off for the present, as the driver for the security key is not compatible. Technicians are working on this, and I will post another entry when the new driver is available.

No comments: