Monday, March 16, 2015

Final Me Made Monday of the year

Recovered post, originally posted 29 December 2014

Today I am wearing a me-made outfit. My trousers are a pair of navy corduroys from my trusty self drafted elastic waist pattern, finished yesterday and worn for the first time today. Also new is a navy silk dupion camisole/shell. I made it just before Christmas to wear under an evening top, but the necklines didn't work together, so again today is the first outing.

Over the top of this, I have a fleece top, again from a trusty self drafted pattern. It has a slight difference in the collar, I used an idea from a Marcy Tilton Vogue pattern, offsetting the attachment of one edge of the cowl. This gives a nice soft rumpled effect.

I made the camisole using an existing garment as the pattern. I laid it on the fabric, with the centre front on a bias fold on the fabric, and traced around it. I angled it slightly away from the fold towards the hem to give a looser fit. I added seam allowances only to the shoulders and side seams. On the front I drafted a lower neckline. If I do this again, I will trace the armholes in the original position before flaring the sides, add front bust darts, and make the neckline a little squarer, but I'm sure this will be a useful garment.


I made French seams, sewing the first pass (WS together) with the three-thread stitch on my overlocker. I bound the armholes and neckline, following the advice given by Thornberry on her blog, sewing the folded binding on the inside, then wrapping it to the outside and topstitching it in place. 

All in, I think this garment took about 1.5 hours to make.

No comments: