Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Appliance covers

I decided my kitchen appliances needed covers, so I measured them and made patterns using the 'shapes' feature in Garment Designer. I used the seam length details to make sure the pieces would fit together.

I found some fabric in Dunelm Mill which was wadding and a plain broadcloth bonded together, to use as the lining, and some beige spotted fabric to use, together with some beige and cream fat quarters, as the outer fabric. I layered the outer and lining pieces and sewed them together, then finished the seam with my overlocker. Finally, I finished the bottom edge with some beige bias binding.

Above, the bread maker and the food processor. Below, the rice cooker and the slow cooker. (You can just about see a steamer in the cupboard as well, but that is in a very old purchased toaster cover.)

The blue pyramid is an iPad stand to use when I'm following a recipe on Pepperplate, which I made a while back - I plan to make one in beige to match the kitchen decor better at some time.


Monday, November 16, 2015

Tight sleeved wedding dress

When this dress arrived, the bride was alarmed to find she couldn't easily fit her arms into the sleeves, and when they were forced on, she couldn't raise them. I have added gussets to provide extra width, and to allow more movement. Luckily, the skirt needed to be shortened so I could use the fabric. I still have to sew on some lace motifs to blend the added fabric in.

Once her arms were comfortably in the dress, we discovered the back was too high and wide at the neckline. I made a tuck at the bottom of the illusion panel,

and moved the (shortened) covered boning and the button loops over at the top. Now I have to sew on the buttons.



Monday, November 09, 2015

Another machine cover underway

I have made a start on another machine cover, this time for my overlocker. I have worked out what size to make it, and made the front panel using a crazy patchwork design.



Sunday, November 08, 2015

Amsterdam images

We went to Amsterdam in September, and I took these photographs of a mercantile nature.